A ceasefire agreement in Syria's Idlib has been signed between Ankara and Moscow, Turkish Minister of Defence Hulusi Akar revealed Friday, indicating that a final understanding with the Russian negotiating delegate was reached in Ankara.
The agreement has been put into force, the minister said in a press statement, and the first step of which will be conducting a joint patrol on the M4 highway on March 15.
The joint patrols with Russia on the M4 highway will contribute in stabilizing the ceasefire, the minister added.
The two delegates carried out talks lasted four days, the minister pointed out, describing the talks as positive.
Akar clarified that it was agreed to establish joint coordination centers, through which the two countries will manage the joint operations in Idlib.
He reiterated that Turkey aims at making the ceasefire permanent in Idlib, stressing that Turkey has done all that is necessary, and the Russians have shown a constructive stance in this regard.
Akar pointed out that there are good indications of stopping the displacement from Idlib, and that some displaced people started returning to it.
Despite the clarifications of the Turkish minister, some points are still ambiguous, such as the mechanism of implementation, the areas located south of the M4 highway, and the withdrawal of the regime forces from areas recently captured by Assad and Russian forces to ensure the return of the civilians to such areas.
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has previously said that the M4 highway will be under Russian supervision, while the regime's media adviser Buthaina Shaaban, said that the implementation of the agreement will give the regime control over Areeha, Jisr al-Shughur and areas south of the international road, whereas opposition factions made no comments on the matter.